hair talk

Saturday, January 18, 2014

My hair has been through a long journey over the past few years. After going through a few illnesses, years of blow drying, hot tools, product, and shampoo everyday my hair had started to fight back. It literally did not grow for YEARS and I could not figure out why! So this year I decided to start treating it a little bit better...and I am impressed with the results daily! For those of you with the same issues (a desire for long healthy hair, but in a rut), this is for you! 

This summer I joined the "no-poo" revolution (in my own way) and stopped shampooing my hair as often. Over the summer I could go a whole week in between washes, but once school started I reverted to 2 washes a week on most weeks. This seriously made all the difference...and it makes sense! If you wash out all of the natural oils everyday you will start to pay. I would still shower, and use conditioner, I simply cut out the shampooing process as often as possible.

I also decided to tag along with all the coconut oil lovers...and I am now a true believer! About once a week, or once every other week I scoop some coconut oil into a small container, microwave it until it is liquid, and then rub it into my scalp and bring it down through the ends of my hair. I leave it in for about an hour (or over night if my hair really needs it) then wash it out! Coconut oil seriously is a miracle worker.

Over the past couple of years I have been addicted to this product called "Extreme Anti-Snap" from Redken. It seriously does everything you could ever need to grow long and healthy hair. It protects from heat and UV rays, and it strengthens and mends dead and split ends.

I have also gone more "natural" in my hair styling approach. Since September 2012 I have blow-dried my hair only 3 times! I also didn't touch my hair with a curling iron or straightener all summer! The last time I died my hair blonde was at the end of October 2012, which is a big step for someone who loves being a light blonde....but I have let the color grow out and now I just have a natural ombre! Talk about giving that hair some natural TLC.

I still have far to go, but the results are keeping me motivated! Not only has my hair grown so much faster than ever, but it also feels thicker than it ever has!

Here is the proof:

My hair then and now...after barely 1 year!

These pictures are the before...




 And the after!




Now I am not trying to say that I have the most beautiful hair, I am just saying that you cannot deny the results.

So for those of you who are willing to take the steps to a healthier head of hair, I challenge you to try what you can from the list, and see how it works!

(PS: I am always open to suggestions on new things to try, so let me know if you found something else that works)

I can't wait to see what another year does for this head of mine!



2 comments:

  1. Way to go, looks great! I am a coconut oil believer too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It seriously is magical! I'm glad to have a fellow believer on here :)

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground