Another San Antonio Get Away

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Well hello everyone! My cutie husband and I just got back from almost a week spent in San Antonio again and what a ride it was.

Honestly, overall the pattern of our days were the same, Kirby out working and me trying to keep busy with the fellow wives (experiencing some quality girl time was a plus). But then night rolls around, and we sure do our best to have fun with the time that we have and man did we cram a lot in this time around...
 
So to make this story short, after a couple yummy dinners, movie nights with our friends, personal ice-cream pints in bed, and lots of Harry Potter audio books, it was the weekend! We rode on a train, floated on a boat, had lots of fancy cheese, and experienced some Chinese, Mexican, and true Texan culture, all within 24 hours. 

Want some details? Keep scrolling ;)


We went on a fun little train ride at the zoo...and I'll bet you can't tell who was more excited to ride the "Zoo Express?" We chugged along through a jungle, over the river, and straight into the Chinese Tea Garden.

Chinese Tea Garden

I was truly blown away by the magnificence of it all, everything that was around us took my breath away. 
"peace" from my favorite boys.


So about the picture above...we may not look anything alike but here is a surprising fact you may not know about these unlikely sisters: We grew up in the same stake in Spokane, Washington, and then married into the same family. Small world am I right?

Anyways, talk about beautiful scenery and architecture! It was worth all the sweat, I can assure you.

The Alamo

We also took the time to brush up on our Texan history at the Alamo. I can at least say that I know what it is now...so three cheers for this history buff! But seriously, how cool is it that I can now say I have been to the Alamo? Pretty dang cool.

 

Riverwalk 

Everyone is always talking about the Riverwalk...it's one thing my dad said we had to do while we were down here. I was all like ok cool let's go walk by the river in this muggy Texas heat just so we can say we did it. But this little lame head of mine fell in love with the entire experience! It was beautiful.
 
Picture this: the Riverwalk is one story beneath the streets of downtown San Antonio, it is lined with shops, restaurants, hotels, and more - all full of character. And when I say lined I mean that there is a sidewalk on each side of the river that is only a few feet wide (and full of people), with the river right up to one edge (and no railing along most of the river) and then the face of the buildings right up to the other side.  Huge trees reach out over the top creating arches of green, and cobblestone bridges lead one way and then the next with twinkling lights in every direction.
 
We walked a short distance then decided we'd get the most out of our trip if we did the whole "tourist" thing right and hopped on one of the little tour boats...dang good decision.

We were just loving life, floating down the river and sinking in all the history and beauty that surrounded us.


A few things I wish: that I knew how to take pictures in the dark, that I had a nice camera to do that with, and that you could see the picturesque scene that exists behind us.

Mexican Bakery

Before saying good bye we stopped by this Mexican Bakery...I am a fan of all things sweet and delicious...but I think I will be sticking to my French Bakeries. Kirb was in heaven though, and I was digging the decorations.


Headed Home

From here we jumped into the car, gassed up at Buc-ee's (of course) and witnessed some excitement on the road. We are used to traffic being diverted off the highway here, there are so many huge accidents, but this time we were stopped for another reason.

We ended up having to take the side road immediately along the highway, and with all four lanes worth of cars on this tiny road traffic was moving super slow, so we were able to watch the commotion.

We passed by an overpass where a few cops were walking back and forth with their flashlights searching the road, then drove a little farther when we saw vans with CRIME SCENE painted on the sides, several more cops intently searching with flashlights, and a firetruck with a ladder hanging off the side of the road holding cops as they climbed into the water below.

So that was kind of exciting, but I am hoping nothing too terrible happened. I'll keep you updated ;)

Anyways we are happy to be home and excited to get as much out of our lovely Austin in the few short weeks we have left!

6 comments:

  1. So glad you guys got to experience San Antonio! such a fun place! I'm bummed we didn't get to meet up! Have fun you two!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was so sad we didn't get to come see you guys last time! Were you there last week?? For some reason I thought you guys had left already, otherwise we should have said something, I am sad now!

      Delete
    2. yeah we are here till 9/3 and then we'll be back in rexburg! it has been fun this summer but i am so ready to get out of the heat!! ha!

      Delete
    3. Seriously this heat is killer! I am actually super excited to get back to Rexburg and settled in!

      Delete
  2. Oh no you didn't like mi tiarras?! I want to so the boat tour now! Looks like fun! We miss you guys already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the girl helping us didn't really know anything about the treats and wouldn't give us samples so we were left to fend for ourselves and guess what was good, but I did love that coconut thing it was heavenly! And the boat tour was a lot of fun, crowded, but fun! We miss you too!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground