thoughts from a college graduate

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Last weekend was incredibly busy...but for the best of reasons! Busy with family coming into town, busy with preparing to move on to a new chapter in our lives, busy with graduation preparation and festivities, busy with the announcement of our baby boy, busy with laughter, busy with family, busy with friends, busy with love. There was too much happiness to squeeze into just a couple of days!

My parents arrived Thursday evening and took me to Grad Fest where I picked up my cap and gown...and of course they insisted on spoiling me with soft sweatshirts and other memorabilia. My mom even won me a waterproof, wireless speaker thing that will come in so handy at the pool this summer! Then, after meeting back up with my sisters and Taraka (my mom's good friend that we have decided is nothing short of my god mother, although I feel that fairy god mother might be more appropriate considering she has been the cause of so much magic in my life), we all went to campus for my last lunch in the Crossroads as a student! I hadn't been on campus for a while, because I have been student teaching this entire last semester, but it was surreal to walk around and think of the 5 years that I have spent calling this place my home and to know that it was all coming to an end so quickly.

I have made so many memories at this wonderful school that have shaped who I am today, and will continue to bless and inspire my future. The spirit and atmosphere that exists at BYUI is one that cannot be mimicked anywhere else. I am so thankful for the social/spiritual/academic education that I have received, and for the friendships that other relationships that have been born on those grounds. Particularly the relationship with that handsome stranger that I met here three years ago, the relationship that blossomed into an eternal marriage with my sweet Kirby Muir.

I remember so vividly one morning sitting in seminary, watching a video on the church schools, so that we could decide which, if any, we would apply to our senior year. When the little TV in the classroom projected the images and little blurb about BYUI I knew, truly, deeply, 100% knew that my future existed at that school. Little me sat there, a junior in high school, trying to hide the fact that tears were streaming down my face. The feeling that I had received was undeniable, and I am so glad that I had the insight to follow through with that overwhelming prompting that I received that day.

Graduation was...long, as it always is. But not a second of it was wasted time. Each talk that was given was heartfelt and powerful. Each name that was called was a student who dedicated their time and finances to getting to this special graduation day. And one thing that I loved, was being the last group of graduates addressed by President Clark.

We soaked it all in, took tons of pictures, then celebrated the night away. My mom and sister made the CUTEST little teacher decorations to adorn the table and surrounding area while we ate some of my favorite foods and relaxed after a long day of walking and sitting. I am so thankful for all that they did and have done in the past few years to get me here.

I owe a lot of people for the help and loved I received throughout my entire college career. My parents first and foremost for their many, many sacrifices, for their love, and for their support every step of the way.

I would not change these past few years for the world. Yes, now I have a degree that I will carry throughout my life, but that is not the greatest success I have earned these past few years. Because of this school I have friends that I wouldn't trade for the world. I have gotten to know professors that have had a lasting impression on my life. I have been able to teach kids that have taught me more than I taught them. I now have the man I was destined to be with eternally by my side and a healthy little angel on the way. I have the life I always dreamed of, and a large part of that is owed to this outstanding university.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground