land that I love.

Saturday, July 5, 2014

 It is all too easy to take for granted the blessing that this country is and the significance of living in a free land. We owe so much to those who devoted their lives to shaping this great country, and to those who continue to sacrifice all that they have. So I just wanted to get in a quick thank you, to all those men and women, past and present.

Thank you.

Now...for those of you who don't know, the fourth of July is my favorite holiday, let's just get that out there.

It is my favorite for several reasons, mostly for the memories and excitement that accompanies the day...and also largely because fireworks are near the tippy top of my most favorite things list.

Plus who doesn't love a holiday that falls in the middle of the summer?
 
Growing up the 4th of July meant Nana's homemade ice cream, kickball and BBQ with our closest friends, watching fireworks from the middle of the lake, Papa's birthday and all the fun that comes from a summer night full of the best of friends, family, and explosions.

So naturally I love it.

I would also like to give a huge shout out to all those Wibergs out there! Kirby and I are the only two who could not make it to Grandma and Grandpa's this year...which we wish we could have changed! 
I am sure we missed out on a lot of fun, and hope everyone had the best Fourth of July!

Kirby and I have spent the fourth together for three years now, each time in a different part of this great country, and each time I am forced to remember how lucky I am, for this land that I love and my own personal American dream I live each day.

This year the whole office was able to go out super early in the morning in order to end the day early as well and be home at 5! (It's truly a miracle, I know!)


At least he got to show his patriotism on the doors...

 

The other wives and I had planned an office wide BBQ for when the guys got home, which was a blast and if I might add, extremely delicious!
 
We then packed our best big blanket, a ton of sparklers, and our most patriotic spirits and headed to catch a firework show with our friends! (have I mentioned how lucky we are to be surrounded by such great friends? Well, let's just say we have it good) 

But you know how everything is bigger in Texas? That included the amount of people trying to see fireworks. IT WAS A MADHOUSE. We thought we would be smart and catch a show that wasn't in the crazy downtown area...but apparently there is no such thing as a firework show that isn't crazy here.

People were camped out on their cars all along every road, blankets and lawn chairs were laid out in front of gas stations, restaurants, and just about anywhere you could squeeze. 

We found ourselves laying our blankets down outside of Torchy's Tacos watching some dinky, distant fireworks for a while until we received news that the other half of our party had found a much better place...so we jumped in our cars, somehow made it through the traffic (might have ran across the highway a couple times while the cars were at a standstill) and as soon as our backs hit the ground the first boom of fireworks started directly in front of us. 

It was magical.

Also remember the "tons" of sparklers we brought? Well we definitely used every last one.

 
I think that it is safe to say that chasing fireworks all night with the love of my life and some good friends will make this a fourth to remember.

Hoping you all had the most wonderful 4th!

With love,

Madison



No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground