Texan Summer: Month 3

Friday, July 11, 2014

Well I might be a couple of days early, but month three is practically over...which means just over one month left! This month has truly made me fall in love with this city. Austin seems to have a hidden gem just waiting to be found around every corner, and I plan on discovering as much as we can before we leave! 

So anyway, here are the updates/life lessons/who-knows-whats since my last update...


Beat the Heat

Something you might not know about Texas is that it gets super hot...haha just kidding everyone knows that! But that doesn't make facing the heat any easier, let alone beating it. 
So here are the tricks I have learned to help beat this crazy heat!

#1: Take a dip in a refreshing pool.
I must admit that morning lap time is my new favorite cardio.


(Side note: Most of you know I have been on a long journey to healthy hair, so I have learned a few easy tricks to keeping your hair safe from those dang pool chemicals - so for those who are interested: I dump a little water from my water-bottle on the ends so they don't soak in the chlorine, I don't get all the way in on the first day after washing my hair because the natural oils also keep the chemicals from soaking into the strands, and my favorite product and safe guard is a UV protectant - since pool time is usually accompanied by sunshine!)


 #2: If you are more of a sunshine soaker than a pool diver, make sure you have the proper tools for beating the heat!

The farther we get into summer, the hotter it gets, and the less patience I have for laying out...here are the tools that help me make it through on the days that I brave it.
1: A book you can really get into to take your mind off the fact that you are melting!
2: Some nice cold water...hello hydration! This water bottle has been my constant companion all summer.
3: Some dark shades, no one likes to be a squinter!
4: Maui Babe Browning Lotion, my one and only...if you are going to endure the heat might as well have a great tan to show for it!
5: A refreshing/healthy snack to keep you satisfied enough to outlast the sun.
6: A hat for when the shades start to slide off your sweaty face (it's inevitable).
7: A soft, large beach towel! Let's face it, the hotter it gets the more uncomfortable that lawn chair starts to feel, so why not cover it up?
8: Whenever possible find a poolside buddy to keep you entertained...and if you are lucky find one as handsome as mine ;)


#3: When all else fails, Blue Bell Ice-cream on the go is a sure save to a scorcher.
Linc knows what he is doing.



Roll it and Pull it

Two things you may or may not know about me are that I have a major sweet tooth and that I love to bake...and that, my friends, makes for a dangerous combination. 

I hardly ever have time to waste in the kitchen during the school year...so once summer hits a monster of sorts is unleashed.
Let's just say it is a good thing that we have friends here so we don't have to eat my experiments all by ourselves...get ready for food pics galore.

This past month I have:

...found my new favorite ice-cream recipe! Brownie cheesecake ice-cream...talk about yum. I have literally made 4 batches of this stuff and it seems to disappear as soon as it is finished.


...discovered that funfetti cookies from scratch are just as pretty and taste even better than from the box.


...put those lemon/raspberry cupcakes I love so much to good use.


...found my new favorite rich chocolate cupcake recipe
...and last but not least I finally had the guts to make a cheesecake by myself, a samoa cheesecake that is ;) HOORAY



Night Owls

When Kirby and I make it out together it is usually 11 or later, which seems to be when downtown Austin comes alive. On this particular night we headed out late with a couple of our closest friends out here and drove up and down 6th street (where clubs, bars, and crazies on bicycle carts are all you can see) just to feel like part of the action, stopped for a slice of some of Austin's most famous pizza, and then of course had to hit up the trailer park eatery for some delicious food truck doughnuts.We probably gained 10 pounds but who is keeping track?


Tell me eating this isn't worth gaining 10 pounds, and I won't believe you.
A soft Gourdough's Donut with coconut cream filling, hot fudge, and coconut flakes on top!
(my mouth is definitely watering as I type this)


We seem to be surrounded by the yummiest Tex-Mex out there. On one of our other late-night outings we discovered Baby-A's, conveniently just down the road from us and is surprisingly home to our new favorite - the stuffed avocado and the flying pink elephants.



July Babies

Apparently July is the month of birthdays in this office (including someone special named Kirby), so we had a fun little celebration to kick of the birthday month! A cake for each birthday boy and girl (the reason for the cheesecake), a pool full of friends, and lots of love to go around. 

Happy early/late birthday to Kirby, Zak, Pace, Justin, and Jacque!
I am so happy to have such great people to spend the summer with.

I can't wait to see where the rest of this birthday month takes us!



This Month's Who Knows Whats

When I thought he was at his meeting he was actually being sneaky.
I about had a heart attack when he pounded on the door.
What a sweetie. 

 I think that the cast of the lost boys was missing a certain little boy named Dominic.

So I guess some holiday happened to be this month... (details in previous post)

Lincoln has found his true calling. 

Congratulations to this little fishie, he has completed his first round of swim lessons!

I had a migraine and Kirby had a cold...so Dominic brought us a special treat and a movie to help us get better. Melt my heart.

Uncle Kirby and Dominic have a hard time hiding exactly how they feel from their face.

Oh and I fell in the oven. This burn is still giving me grief. 

So I guess other than that all there is to say is that we LOVE our nursery kids and look forward to every Sunday with them, we miss our family and friends and can't wait to see them, Kirby and half the office is super sick (don't ask me how I managed to stay healthy) oh and Obama came and ate at our favorite cafe downtown so life is still weird here in Austin, and that's the way they like to keep it.

Now is when I would normally say "until next month!" but considering that a special boy of mine has a special day coming up I am afraid I would be deceiving you if I acted like that wasn't post worthy.

So until July 22nd!

Love you All,

Madison Muir

2 comments:

  1. Your cupcakes look amazing! All your teats do! I kind of wish you were my neighbor but grateful you're not ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks so much! It seriously is a constant battle around here. I wish you were my neighbor too so I could get rid of some more of them ;)

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground