Birthday Bonanza...or something like that

Monday, July 27, 2015


Birthdays for a summer salesman are often cut short of the celebration that I believe every birthday should be! So, although he still had to spend all day walking around in the 100+ Texas temperatures on his birthday, I took it upon myself to make his day as special as possible!

Kirby has been having trouble getting comfortable enough to sleep well at night. He has quite literally destroyed the extra fluffy and comfy pillows my parents bought for us by mashing his around trying to form it into something that helps him relax. SO the night before his birthday I snuck a TempurPedic - memory foam - cooling gel - pillow on his side of the bed and pulled the covers up over it (after placing a big bag of sour patch kids smack dab in the middle)...to hide the surprise, and stuck a little pre-birthday card on top of it all. He actually didn't notice the card at first as he walked around the room talking about his day at work, and changing into comfy clothes. But, when he did, he went straight over to it and started reading. About halfway through the card he laid down, hitting the bag of sour patch kids which made a rather obvious crinkly sound. So, he pulled out the candies, and finished reading the card, while unknowingly laying on his brand new pillow. Toward the very end of the card he made a quizzical face and rolled his head back and forth before shouting "HEY" in a rather accusatory voice. Then he pulled the new pillow out of it's case to inspect it excitedly...and that's about it. He expressed his love and appreciation, then our night concluded like normal. We ate his sour patch kids, while watching Netflix in bed.

The next morning was it, the birthday morning. So, I set my alarm for 5:00...and when it went off, snuck quietly into some sweats and a T-shirt, grabbed the keys, and set off to pick up his birthday breakfast. (FYI I did warn him the night before that I had an early-morning errand to run, so he wouldn't freak when he found me missing). Anyways...me and my big belly drove 20 minutes at 5:00 in the morning to pick up some adorable doughnuts that spelled our HAPPY B-DAY KIRBY complete with a little heart shaped doughnut...and a cronut since those are his fav (Just not as cute, duh). I then went to work "decorating" the breakfast table and setting out the rest of the food. Now, anyone who knows me and Kirby, knows that breakfast in bed is kind of our thing...birthdays, Christmas, Christmas Eve, Fathers' day, random mornings when one of us sleeps in, we normally do it all. But I didn't want to bring in just a box of doughnuts, and I wasn't about to bring in just part of the message. So, instead I just snuggled back up into bed with him like nothing had happened and waited for him to get up. And when he did, I followed him to the dining area where my little surprise was waiting. He, of course, was sweet with his thank yous, and snapped a couple pictures before we partook of the birthday breakfast...then it was off to work for him, and back to work on birthday extravaganzas for me.

 

Last year I made Kirby a Samoa Cookie Cheesecake for one of his birthday treats, and that's all he asked for this year. I literally started baking it the second he left, and barely added the finishing touches in time before he came home that night. But, the important thing is that he had his cake! Since the hard working boys out here do not get home until close to 10:00 some nights, and start again early the next morning, we didn't really want to have a party in the middle of the week. So I ordered a couple pizzas, and we had Kirby's brother and his girlfriend over for a small party that really just consisted of pizza, cake, and opening presents. But it was splendid nonetheless...plus he got his fair share of birthday fun with his friends the following weekend!
 

I LOVE my sweet Kirby. He is my sweetheart, my hero, my knight in shining armor, my everything. 

Happy birthday boo, I'm all about you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground